This spring has lots of new directions. With the publication of Critical Code Studies (MIT Press), I have been now turning my attention to helping explore CCS with others in two specific projects: a special issue of Digital Humanities Quarterly that I’m editing with frequent collaborator Jeremy Douglass and an Anti-Racist Critical Code Studies Reading Group that I’m coordinating with Jeremy, Sarah Ciston, and Zach Mann.
This Spring’s netprov will be a ten-year anniversary return to Grace, Wit & Charm! John, Joellyn, Ken, and I are happy to see Salt Immortal Sea translated into French. We are going to continue to develop the website with teaching materials. The kids and I are continuing our webcomic called Coronation about our family’s experience during the Corona Virus quarantine. I’m using the quarantine/homestay time to also explore virtual reality a bit. (More news to come on that front.)
Speaking of the kids, we have also been working on two card games. One is the Dad Jokes game continues my fascination with paternal groaners that I explored in the UnderAcademy Course. This past year, we released Mrs. Wobbles 5, “The Land Down Under,” which my daughter dreamed up. Next stop “Got to your Room” and my son’s story “Action Figures.”
- Critical Code Studies (MIT Press, March 10).
- Pent-up Pentagrams: a small generative reflection on our COVID-19 homestays published in Taper #5.
- Coronation, a webcomic, telling the tale of my family’s experience of the Corona virus quarantine, excerpts published in QuaranZine
- Relaunched site for Critical Code Studies
- Relaunched site for the Humanities and Critical Code Studies Lab
- Fantasy Spoils: After the Quest, our D&D based netprov.
- Moody Locales: our Spring Netprov that crowsourced an emotional atlas of the world.
- Destination Wedding 2070, a netprov, on display in Streaming exhibit at Calit2 gallery at UC San Diego.
- Flight of the CodeMonkeys, a new interactive fiction work that lets you monkey around in the code in this year’s IFComp, and published in the Spring issue of New River Journal.
- The Land Down Under, the latest episode of Mrs. Wobbles & the Tangerine House
- Monstrous Weather: A Twine Version of our epic summer netprov.
- My e-signature novel is up to line 101. Email me for one.
- Hosting the Anti-Racist Critical Codee Studies Reading group
- Speaking at San Diego State University