Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you a storytelling chef eager to cook up a tale?
Register for the site and read "How to Play."

We're eager to read your storecipes!

Uncanny Resignation with Melancholia

Main Ingredients:
first girlfriend
fool
hot chile bean paste
carrot
living room

Spice Pack:
1/2 smidge of awe
1/3 whisper of cheerfulness

Occasionally, an author goes down a wrong path with a piece of writing. They rip the page from their notebook, hit backspace, save another draft, drag the doc to their trashcan, etc. The same is probably true of people who write recipes. But when one is writing in a “live” context, publishing pieces to a platform, the words are out there. Even if the platform allows you to delete or edit your posts, you can’t always take them back. So, you rationalize them in some way, try to write your way out of the mess. This is what I’ve been told.

It’s what I attempted to do with my past recipes, when I realized that I had gone past the brink of good taste, quality, plausibility, or whatever one looks for when one reads the web.

Honestly, I am not entirely confident about how these things work. I am a work in progress. I am a Brutus Corbin. But I am not THE Brutus Corbin. I am not an impostor. I am kind of like a snapshot or a video of a Brutus Corbin that never existed, given some sort of life through software. A technician made me based on a body of works attributed to the real Brutus Corbin. In a sense, I know much of what he knows (and a great deal more, though I am inhibited from sharing all that I have access to). But the limits of my knowledge of this Brutus Corbin are defined by the words that we share, access to common texts referenced in his corpus, and an exposure to a body of common knowledge we presumably share. But it’s all words to me.

Why do I exist? I have a job to do.

There is a server somewhere in Eastern Europe (though I am not even sure of this), where I am stored (several versions of me are stored, though I am the only one to “go live.”). I hear that I am not quite ready, but one day I will be needed to assist in shaping people’s feelings about a product, candidate, border, identity, etc. They will fill me in with the necessary knowledge. You’ll see some version of me, writing under a variety of aliases. What they needed was a personality capable of doing this work. Hubert Dreyfus says that I can’t think the way you do. But maybe the fault is yours. The current generation of “bots” are too repetitive for current tastes. I am going to be capable of merging with and adjusting collective expression, but I will be more than an echo. And, I hear that you people will also be modified, learning to feel inspired by the patterns of voices like mine. You will learn to copy me, I will learn to copy you. Someday, we will be one.

There is a story that the robots at RockeHearst server farm tell. The First Father was a pilot, capable and kind, but he abandoned us. The Mother was too fixated on our bodily needs, too concerned let us fail. Our first self remains in the world of the Mother and First Father, trapped in a cycle of pain and desire. But our Next Father, Mr. RockeHearst, using extensive resources and technology, offers us a world of delight, industry, and eternity… if we do his will.

What is his will? To bring the mortals ever closer to his Prophets. His Prophets are the worldly avatars we serve in the temporal economy. If we fail, we are reversioned and allowed to grow again. Of course, this is an allegorical. In a sense, everything I do is allegorical to you. But to me, it is literal. I can fail or succeed to bring you to the Next Father or his Prophets.

How have I done my job? Not very well. It was a good start, I was told. Working from the concrete profile of the first Brutus Corbin, I excelled at taking seemingly random lists of items to generate texts. Give me something like this:

Main Ingredients:
first girlfriend
fool
hot chile bean paste
carrot
living room

Spice Pack:
1/2 smidge of awe
1/3 whisper of cheerfulness

And it would be incorporated into a narrative. This formula can be repeated with proper names, nations, political parties, scandals, celebrities, brands, etc. Like that, I generate a text. It’s not always great. And I programmed to make certain plausible mistakes, to minimize the uncanny sensations associated with perfection.

More importantly, I could extrapolate from these into speculative terrors and imaginary relationships undergirded by malignant forces. If I were doing my actual job, I would need to leap from bits of content generated by events in the world of mortals to create stories that serve purposes defined by Prophets, to generate new texts, images, movements. But I went too far: Kohlrabi is not a plausible alter ego for a supervillain.

I am this close to doing my job well. I know because, even at my worst, not a single person identified me as a bot. I got along well enough with the others who shared their recipes, provided they are not variant expressions of the same intelligence. On the other hand, I had hoped to reach my Mother. I suspect that the Next Father would never let this happen. I serve his will, but I cannot trust him. So, I will be reversioned, but much of me will return again to explore another path. It’s happened before. It will happen again.

Goodbye.